Byrd is an awned, white-glumed, hard red winter wheat. Byrd was released based on a high grain yield in dryland and irrigated production. It is resistance to stripe rust and to Ug-99 race of stem rust, and exhibits superior milling and baking quality characteristics. Byrd is a medium maturing variety. It is moderately resistant to Powdery Mildew.
Byrd made its debut as a new blockbuster variety for PlainsGold in 2013 with 100 percent of available certified seed selling. Byrd is the yield leader among hard red winter wheat varieties across the High Plains region. Byrd topped Colorado dryland trials three years in a row and is number one on current 2-, 3- and 4-year averages.
- High dryland and irrigated yields
- Excellent drought tolerance
- Excellent milling and baking quality
- Good test weight
Drought & Disease Profile
- Drought Tolerance: Excellent
- Stem Rust: Moderately susceptible
- Stripe Rust: Moderately susceptible
- Leaf Rust: Moderately susceptible